View Single Post
Old November 16th, 2005
Riding a Pale Horse and Wielding THE Sword of the Forum

Peerless is a jewel in the rough

if my memory is correct, you are using an Asus P4C800-e deluxe board, which is the same as the one I am currently using..so said heatsink will work just fine...

also, you mention there was residual from the stock heatsink...Intel I assume?..in which case the residual is not thermal paste, but part of the thermal pad..to remove this use some acetone (take the damn cpu off of the motherboard to clean, as I really think acetone dripping on the board is not exactly kewl)..and actually, from some research I just did, your temps are not all that high, though in my mind such temps with the case open are an indication of 'problems', possibly just related to the residual thermal pad...

and of course, be very, very carefull with the cpu whilst cleaning it...a bent or broken pin would certainly ruin anybody's day!

lastly: I hope you've got those fans with the proper airflow orientation...your rear fan should exhaust out (as does your PSU), and fans in the front should suck in...believe it or not, the cpu fan should blow DOWN onto the chip, which makes the airflow of a side fan kinda questionable...I just had a little conversation with a tech mentor on another forum in regards to this, and am probably going to reorient my side fan to blow in (onto the heatsink) as opposed to blowing out as it presently does...of course I will monitor the temps to see any results

finally....arctic silver 5 is considered the king of thermal paste, fyi

So Long and Thanks for All the Files

Beware of the big 3 insurance companies in Texas! Read your policies carefully (maybe you'll need a lawyer) Allstate, Farmers & State Farm are overextended and their 'coverage' is worthless...a true waste of your money Read This