Thread: terms
View Single Post
Old November 25th, 2005
Valued Member contributor

Grandpa will become famous soon enough

Sphinx

While I do agree Pro and Basic are pretty much the same there are some differences depending on your connection. I will attempt to clarify these differences as best I can.

If you have dial-up, dsl, adsl or some of the slower connections you will see virtually no difference in basic an pro. But if you have a fast cable 500+KB/s, T1, T3 or any other high speed connection you will see a noticeable difference.

I currently have cable with 900KB/s capabilities when running pro I Will get on most files 10 sources and will average around 200KB/s and with basic I will get 6 to 8 sources and average 100 to 140KB/s so as you can see there is a noticeable difference.

Also when running basic I almost never max out my capabilities but with Pro I frequently do. Also when searching for rare files I will find more sources using Pro thus more KB/s.

In conclusion for the average user there is probably no advantage to Pro but for those searching for rare files and those with high speed connections there is a noticeable difference.

I also do not believe that buying pro is a waste of money for no other reason than the developers of LimeWire do allot of work to improve the software and deserve our support, you can not feed a family on good will alone.

And if anybody wishes to use the argument that future versions are going to be worthless because of the licensing restrictions and thus not worth our support. My reply would be maybe, maybe not they Will still be developing the core of the software and it will still be open source so that others like the FrostWire crew can still use the upgraded versions.

The bottom line is in my opinion LimeWire Pro will always be worth the money.

java.com - Hot Games, Cool Apps

A little common sense goes a long way

Later Grandpa