View Single Post
Old November 28th, 2001
Unregistered

Default The 'Other' LimeWire Download

A suggestion was posted recently in this forum that an updated version of LimeWire without ads or spyware was available for download. And so it is...sort of. At the bottom of the platform options for downloading version 1.8c on the LimeWire site is a link to 'other' downloads. Sure enough, the link leads to a page containing a download link of LimeWire designed for Windows. I downloaded this version. As promised, the ads were not present A scan with Ad-aware confirmed that the install was clean. However, I found the resulting configuration virtually unusable:

1. The zipped package omits an installer, but the contents can be easily extracted to an appropriate folder. A desktop shortcut to the file 'RunLime.jar' will access the program as though installed by the principal Windows package on the preceding download page. That is the end of the good news.
2. The version is identified in the Help menu as 1.8b not 1.8c, as expected.
3. The performance reminded me of early versions of LimeWire: sluggish, nonresponsive and thoroughly unstable. My system froze numerous times, apparently without cause. On other occasions, the program would simply exit to the desktop without prompting. What happened to all the preceding improvements in performance?
4. The program wouldn't retain my selection of files for sharing. I had to reconfigure sharing each time I rebooted...usually to recover from a LimeWire freeze.

Well, LimeWire, version 1.8 in whatever form you care to offer is certainly an enormous disappointment. I've read your comments about the absence of spyware, but they simply aren't true. Cydoor files remain on a system even after LimeWire has been uninstalled. And you have failed to notifiy your users of these circumstances. We've had to be informed of the situation by independent software. We've reached a watershed, guys.