View Single Post
Old November 28th, 2001
White Magician

guido is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by Sephiroth
Anti-freeloading isnt a really good thing. I believe that users should share because they want too and not because others force them too.

Anti-freeloading plans rarely work if they work at all. Take Direct Connect for example they have an anti-freeloading feature by allowing users to set file/size amount shared and number of upload slots as restrictions. Go into anyone of those nodes and there will be probably 1-2 modem users the rest are all broadband. That is point number one it discourages modem or other narrowband users off the program and would discourage them off gnutella. Even with supernodes many modem users wouldnt be able to meet restrictions and the time to take to upload massive amounts or build up would be too long.

Antifreeloading features only help out broadband people and not all the users. Most places broadband isnt avaible, its too expensive, or in my case the backlog is so big you have to wait an extreemely long time to get it hooked up.

Number two it promotes the sharing of worthless files like copies of a group of files over and over, or corrupted/partial files and etc.

Lastly using DC as an example again it doesnt really improve download rates. Sure your search screen will be filled up with more crap but if downloads rarely go through or are slow then whats the use.
You didn't read my proposal very well.
What I proposed is quite well cheat proof AND not unfair for modem users.
Here's why I think so:

It is cheat proof because this 'GI' is not measured by how many or which files are in your shared folder, but how many bytes you actually _did_ upload during the last 48 hours, divided through the number of bytes you did download. Thus you can impossibly increase your GI without contributing to the network. (Okay, there's still the possibility of manipulating your node's source code - but I don't think a significant amount of users will do so.)

It is not unfair to modem users because of the way this GI is applied. If you read through my proposal carefully (and think a little further), you will see that the trick is to have a GI that is slightly higher than the GIs of those who want to download something from the same host. You do _not _ need a GI which is near to the maximum, it only shouldn't be too far below the average GI on the network.
As the majority of Gnutella users probably have asynchronous connections, this average GI will probably not be more than 30% or so, meaning in order to have a decent chance of getting your desired files, you'd have to upload 30 bytes for every 100 bytes you download. Don't tell me this is too much for modem users!

What I have to admit though, is that all this won't be of much use as long as the majority of clients don't support swarming.

Quote:

Also swarming was mentioned. Swarming isnt the holy grail. On the fasttrack network even though there is no way to get teh stats ill bet that more people freeload there than they do on gnutella. Swarming just makes freeloaders less noticeable it doesnt encourage users to share. Even though it uses less bandwidth to upload would it really be enough to convince someone who wasnt sharing in the first place to share? I doubt it.

Last edited by guido; November 28th, 2001 at 08:11 AM.