View Single Post
Old December 10th, 2005
Gnutella Admirer

Morb is flying high
Thumbs down

I downloaded the 851.7kb virus to see which one it was and did a little investigating. It was obviously designed to disable P2P programs as they are the targets of this virus.

Copies %ProgramFiles%\winupdates\a.zip, using the generated filenames, to folders whose name contains one of the following strings:

Ares\My Shared Folder
eMule\Incoming
Kazaa\My Shared Folder
My Shared Folder
gnucleus\downloads
shareaza\downloads
rapigator\share
Edonkey2000\Incoming
morpheus\My Shared Folder
Limewire\Shared

Note: If Limewire is installed on the computer, the worm attempts to start it.
(Seems it's targeted for P2P programs, interesting!)

Just a few paragraphs I found at the RIAA website. My comments are in parenthesis.

_________
On behalf of its member companies, the RIAA works to protect ((maliciously) refer to the proprietary comment by the RIAA) the value of music. Of course, music isn't the only part of our lives that deserves more appreciation than it sometimes gets. The people of music do, too. Technology initiatives (virus's) of record companies and policy initiatives (a nice term for saying, "legal and software malicious inntiatives) coordinated by the RIAA are working toward a seamless, interconnected world for music fans.

Note to students and other researchers: All of the RIAA's publicly available information is contained on this website. Because some of the research we conduct is proprietary (Proprietary, found at dictionary.com... "2 : a business secretly owned by and run as a cover for an intelligence operation" Perhaps this has something to do with the famed License to Virus talk), the RIAA does not provide information beyond what is contained on these pages. (hmmmmm, i wonder why)
Another reason why I don't think Limewire states anything directly about this but rather just starts a forum of people to think they know what's going on will deter their legal battles against paying customers I think is also what's going on.

I looked all over Limewires' website and found nothing of scheduled improvements upon their program. If there is, let me know.

I just find all this interesting.

If you've ever heard of Kevin Trudeau's battle with the FDA you'd see he's very open with what he intends to do next. THe FDA would like him shut down but he fights back and tells all. Limewire is just quiet and to me that makes them suspicious.