View Single Post
Old December 16th, 2005
Gnutella Admirer

Morb is flying high

The only time I have noticed this happen is when a large (e.x. 500mb) file is finished downloading and then LW is verifying it. Usually during the process of verifying large files I can't use any other programs or it looks like my 3Ghz P4 is running on a 386! So I just wait it out and it eventually finishes after my DRAM has been scrubbed clean and most other programs on my computer are recovering from the havok I notice that my connection (blue bars) have all gone red. I check the connection's tab and there are no connections to the network plus if I had 9 hosts while downloading a file, I would end up with 2 or 3 and this would be the case with most of the files I was downloading at the time of verifying.

If I'm writing in Word I try and make sure I save my work before LW verifies files because sometimes other program (that aren't internet oriented) will freeze. Also my MSN Messenger will disconnect during this process too at times. I really don't understand the verifying feature as with other P2P programs just let you know you're done and that's that! I assume it's checking for some corruption in the file that could have happened while downloading but I'd rather have the option to not have it verify files over 150mb as it seems at this stage that it effects connection and program stability issues. Or perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I typically only have about 150mb of available ram at the time. I monitor my available ram in my system tray and notice that this verifying procedure eats it all up. The same as with when you're building your library with large files. I just bite my tongue and hope everything survives the process, lol!