View Single Post
Old November 30th, 2001
Unregistered

Unhappy What now? What next?

Hello,

this is what XoloX' greeted me with just a few minutes ago:

<blockquote>
<p>Dear XoloX-user,</p>
<p>Taking into account the lates law suits against p2p clients based on Fasttrack-technology (such as Kazaa), we have decided to discontinue XoloX. As of the 1st of december, XoloX will be shut down and removed from distribution sites. We hope everybody has enjoyed XoloX as long as it has been around and we want to use this opportunity to thank everybody who made a contribution to its development. These last few days will give you some time to finish your downloads and we advise you not to start new transfers. If you want to migrate to another p2p client we advise you to visit the Zeropaid website (www.zeropaid.com) for orientation.</p>
<p>Thanks again and goodbye!</p>
<p>--Team XoloX--</p>
</blockquote>

First of All, I want to say "No, thanks to YOU!" - XoloX is one of the best Gnutella clients I know, (easy to use, and what not. You've probably read this a few hundred times ;-) and thinking of it to not start the network tomorrow makes me already miss it...

But just after I finished reading the above message, a few questions popped up in my mind...

First of all, if a filesharing... uh... "facility" had to "die", it didn't really die. It just "dodged". Public MP3 FTP servers became private, with a personal authentification over IRC, ICQ, etc. Napster led to OpenNap and the likes, and even a 100% filtered Audiogalaxy Database would still be usefull in saving you hours of XoloX' continous search. (As long as it's still accessable, that is...)

So, Here's question #1: Could you please publish the source? I'd bet there'll be someone with enough courage and financial sources to continue development.

Second thing I'd like to know is: Will XoloX still work later when I enter a custom Gnutellahost? I mean, this is a Gnutella client, after all...

Anyway, thanks for another piece of fun software,

Unregistered