View Single Post
Old December 21st, 2005
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough

Hi Mike

Merry Christmas to you and, when you get there, a very happy new year.

Now, you want a plain English explanation of the things you are seeing on your Limewire program, well here goes:

You said:
Quote:
I am currently sharing 1341 files according to my info bar ( bottom left), is this "normal" or am i being to stingy or generous?
I would say that you are sharing a slightly above normal amount of files. The reason I say this is because if the number you are sharing goes up any further you will run into "Java" problems, this is where Java, which is needed by Limewire to work, will crash and Limewire will start to behave erratically.

I would say that you should share between 1,000 and 1,250, that will keep “Java” happy as well as the “Peer to Peer (a.k.a P2P) network” membership.

Quote:
can someone put to rest the explanation of "up" & "down" loads
Mike, this is quite simple, an “upload” is when someone is uploading a file from you, you can check this by clicking the “Monitor Tab” and seeing the number of files being uploaded from your PC by other members of the P2P community. “Download” is when you download a file or files from other P2P members. So, they upload (from you or I) and you and I download from them (others members), i.e. both words are essentially the same thing it just depends on your view point.

Hope this helps.

UK Bob