View Single Post
Old November 30th, 2001
Gnutella Admirer

Sephiroth is flying high

I didnt say a disclaimer idea itself was pointless i said making one up was since the indivdual programs do it allready for their program. . Its not really a new idea and its allready in place. Many of the disclaimers posted here had alot of effort in them which is nice to people taking an interest in improving gnutella but its allready in place.

Metadata can be added to gnutella without the problem of a lawsuit if it provides metadata on everything and not on just mp3 or just movie files and etc. Again lets look at fasttrack they had a "secure" network and in the end did that help them ward off the riaa and others like it? No.

What security plan can be added to gnutella which the riaa wont just go get the source of an open-source program which has it, modified it and go on their way? There isnt one. The best plan for gnutella like i said before would be to developer alternative uses other than just file sharing and to improve the network to be able to handle that and support millions of users.

Moak i dont think you really understand gnutella from other networks. Even if the RIAA shuts down a gnutella program all that really does is stop development that program will still be on the network and people will still continue to use it. What if the source was released then that program would mutate into new programs/verisons. In the end it wouldnt accomplish anything. People would still be trading music files, the riaa would be hated more, and there will more programs popping up.

And whats this freenet. Freenet is really before its time and it has its weaknesses also. Take for instance to download off freenet you have to search a key index. These key indexes are targets they can be filtered, they can be shut down. Freenet isnt invincible as many people believe. I get their idea which was that there will be too many file indexes to shut them all down but right now there arent that many.

The RIAA has always gone after the largest, most popular program not the weakest. If they went after the weakest ones then all the very little programs with very little user bases would have been sued and shut down.