View Single Post
Old December 1st, 2001
Disciple

gerardm is flying high
Default P to P, Open Source, business models

As I understand it, Gnutella is a P to P protocol whereby there is no central system. There are many implementations of the Gnutella software whereby there are several "competing" versions that are Open Source. Many of the Gnutella versions are by small companies that are dependent on Gnutella. They need cash as we all do, and include spyware to generate income. The main use of the software is for "sharing" music. The established musical industry takes a dim view on this

At this moment P to P is identified with a Napster, a Kazaa, a Gnutella. And everything is done to stop "illegal" use. The problem is twofold. A whole technology is in danger. To me it is obvious that what is needed for businesses in P to P to succeed is to have legitimate uses for the technology. The money will not come from the Gnutella clients but from functionality like a peer server.

My suggestions are the following
* Allow for a closed use of Gnutella. For instance sharing data within a company. (Intel is on record using P-P for that)
* Cooperate on the Gnutella client. Gnutella should be like Linux, a LimeWire, BearShare like RedHat Suse.. When everyone works on the same codebase, the evolution of Gnutella would greatly increase.
* Do not use spyware in a client. The reason is simple, when a client is infested with spyware, the commercial off shoots will not succeed in commercial applications because companies can not be associated with that.
* With cooperation on the client done in a community way, there will be more time=money available for the commercial bits and bobs.
* On the Mandrake forum they are floating the idea of contributing Euro's for continued work on the client... Contributors are more likely to get heard when new functions are requested.... Read there postings.
* Look hard for "legitimate" uses of Gnutella. When Gnutella is widely used for functions that nobody can object to, there is no change to have the technology destroyed by a RIAA or a BUMA/STEMRA.

Thanks
Have fun
Gerard