View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2005
Novicius

rogue_red is flying high
Lightbulb Having trouble with WMP10? look here

Hi there, Im a fairly new user of Lime wire and I love it. One problem I have encountered is that some of the Mp3's I have downloaded get an error message when I try to play them in windows media player 10. The error usually read "cannot play file" or "cannot play file because it is corrupt or the format is not supported"and under furthur information it states that WMP 10 doesnt support the codecs used to compress the file or that its a partial file. And yet I can play the files using limewires own media player so I knew the files were ok.
Microsoft have acknowledged that this is a bug in WMP 10 and have yet to resolve the issue or provide a patch although they have provided a patch for the same problem in WMP 9.
The problem is associated with the ID3 header (which all mp3 files have).
WMP10 has a problem with some of these headers and cant read them.
The way to alter the mp3 so that it becomes acceptable to WMP is to use a third party Tag editor, which I did. Its really easy to use and fast as well.
Im not sure if im allowed to post links so if anyone wants the link to the tag editor (which is freeware) or the microsoft knowlege base article about this issue then please P.M me.
Hope this helps.