View Single Post
Old December 30th, 2005
Novicius

darrene is flying high
Default Limewire garbled UI

I've seen the supposed solution to this problem with Limewire and Java version 1.5.0 producing a garbled user interface posted at www.gnutellaforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35986 but find this an unacceptable solution.

One of the reasons why Java is updated is because fixes to security issue are included so I do not want to have to resort to an older version just because Limewire doesn't work well with it.

And why is this happening anyway? I have noticed that whenever I run the Java preferences tool from Control Panel, my display flickers as though this Java tool is putting my screen into a special display mode. I certainly notice that text on the screen changes as though some filtering (similar to what happens when you apply ClearType effect in WindowsXP) is applied. Why the hell does Java need to mess around with my display and why are there no video options for you to adjust within Java if it's going to mess with your display? I would include a screenshot but I have no way to upload it.

I assume whatever Java is doing with my display is the root cause of the garbled graphics in Limewire. How strange that the Java website completely ignores what must be a common problem in it's FAQs and common problems documents on it's website. Are they just happy to ignore there's an issue?

I'm going to be getting a refund on my Limewire if this isn't fixed because it makes Limewire unuseable. Surely Lime Wire LLC should be approaching Java for questions as to why this is happening and filling us all in on when Limewire will work happily with any version of Java that comes along?