View Single Post
Old December 31st, 2005
Enthusiast

sonnet is flying high
Default Internal Error caused by unknown. Limewire crashing/unstable afterwards.

Hi,

First, the problem:

I haven't been on Limewire in awhile, but today I got a large number of "internal errors." I was not reading any files in my Shared folder, nor accessing any partial files. I have the latest version of Java. I did a search on this forum for "internal error" and it was not related to any video files or audio files (as I was not working with either).

Next, my set-up:

I am using Limewire Pro 4.0.8 with a Macintosh G4 PowerMac 933 and a broadband connection. I run Jaguar 10.2.8 as my OS. (I have not updated to Panther or Tiger; I note this since per this forum certain Mac OS X versions cause a Java-related problem with Limewire.) I turned off my OS X firewall before starting Limewire -- even though I felt it unnecessary since my Limewire version still has the "push" as an option and enabled). Also, before starting Limewire, I disconnected my wireless router for my iBook, instead connecting my PowerMac directly to my broadband cable modem to minimize any potential problems and rebooted. There was no interference from any source. I regularly run disk repair permissions. The last time I ran this version, it was stable.

These internal errors keep popping up, and today many times have rendered Limewire completely unusable and unstable. Since this did not happen the last time I ran Limewire, I am wondering what could have changed. Now I feel like I have to babysit Limewire every minute to keep it from locking up on me. It certainly cannot sit by itself for hours or days any longer, as it must have crashed at least 50 times today.

I have never in the past had to disable Ultrapeer, and I did not do so today. I have it set to allow freeloaders at 0, give each person 100 uploads, and a minimum of 4 and a maximum 6 upload slots. None of this has changed from the way I have run Limewire in the past. I keep Limewire's mp3 player disabled, and I also have iTunes disabled via Limewire.

I am getting successful uploads and downloads, but Limewire crashing and error messages is making this slow and painful.

I suppose I could trash the preferences file as has been recommended elsewhere, but what is the overall cause of this?

Thank you.