View Single Post
Old January 9th, 2006
Enthusiast

sonnet is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by Only A Hobo
The upload limits you set on yor Limewire preferences are for simultaneous uploads.

Only set your upload limit to a number your system can handle... 1000 will not help!
This is a continuation of this thread, and also picks up on a discussion we were having here

In the past, in older versions of Limewire, here is what would happen if I set Limewire/Preferences/Options/Uploads/Uploads Per Person to 1:

(a) It would initially allow someone to download one file, let's say a music file. Then they would finish that upload.

(b) Thereafter when the same person tried to upload a second file, even if they were only in one slot, it would continually give them an Upload Limit Reached error.

That is what prompted me to change my settings Limewire/Preferences/Options/Uploads/Uploads Per Person so that people had 1,000 uploads. Perhaps the old and new versions of Limewire are different.

According to the Limewire User Guide here on Page 21 of the downloadable version, the guide defines "Slots: Uploads Per Person" as "limits the number of files a single host can download from your computer." This bears out my reasoning for setting this value to 1,000 above. Since doing that, if someone wants to download 1,000 songs from me they can; as long as they are only using one Upload Slot at a time.

"Slots: Uploads Per Person" above for those who are looking for it is the same as Limewire/Preferences/Options/Uploads/Uploads Per Person.

On page 21, the User Guide also defintes "Max Upload Slots" as: "Limits the maximum number of simultaneous uploads that are allowed. The default number is set to five. Set this number to zero to stop uploads." (Let's not encourage that last practice as, that deserves a whole new topic so people understand that the downloads and uploads are like the north and south lanes of a busy highway and do not interfere with each other.)

The second one is the only one that refers to simultaneous uploads.

"Max Upload Slots" for those who are looking for it is in Options under Limewire/Preferences/Options/Uploads/Max Upload Slots which I have set to 10. So, depending on bandwidth, I may have up to 10 different IP addresses uploading at once.**

I have been observing Limewire this week because I was curious about what you wrote and indeed as you stated it has given "Upload Limit Reached" errors to the same IP address if they were trying to upload two files simultaneously using two of my precious upload slots. So perhaps it is a blend of what you are saying and what I am saying, and perhaps the User Guide doesn't quite have it sorted yet.

~~~

** Footnote from above: Except for that one crazy instance where one individual had hogged four of my Upload Slots and had several of my Queue slots! Other than that, it has worked beautifully; letting each IP address have only one Upload Slot at a time.

PowerMac G4 933 with ISP Brighthouse/Roadrunner broadband 15/2 connection running Mac OS X 10.2.8

~~~~~~~~

Details of my computer (firewall, RAM, hard disk), network set-up, country, and all can be found here: http://limewiresettings.jottit.com/