View Single Post
Old December 4th, 2001
Gnutella Veteran

SRL is flying high
Default Re: Don't believe the hype

Quote:
Originally posted by John Blackbelt Jones
I've not seen any log-files that actually indicate Gator is doing any worse than tracking which websites you visit and how often you visit them.
That's more than enough to qualify it as an "evil spy tool" in my book. Not to mention it opens up holes enabling it to install even more slimeware without the user knowing. That's clear trojan behavior, and in a non-commercial program might land the "developer" in jail.

Let's ask it another way - why should any user allow such parasites on their system? What benefit is there to offset the potential risks? Would you want to give yourself pinworms just because they don't really hurt you too much? Would you eat free food if it was knowingly infected with tapeworms? Would you be happy if such food only had a vague reference to "extra added proteins" on the label? "Proprietary" products in other industries could never get away with this kind of abuse.

It's sort of become the V.D. of the software industry. These days, If you're not very careful what programs you go playing around with, you may find yourself with a case of something nasty.

I'm sure these developers would love for people to start thinking of parasitic software as "normal" and acceptable (or at least inevitable). However, commercial software has existed successfully for years without resorting to such sleazy tactics. It's no more than just a poor excuse for lack of financial planning - anyone can be popular by giving stuff away. They could try shareware or donations *before* going with this stuff, but once "the spyware hits the fan" they can kiss any user loyalty goodbye. I find it odd that they seem so surprised to discover betraying their users actually has negative consequences!

Vendors who embrace spyware are shouting their failure to the world - it's the last gasp of dying companies and a red flag to any potential VC. The Gators of the world, like vultures, will be sure to pick the bones clean.