View Single Post
Old January 14th, 2006
Valued Member contributor

Grandpa will become famous soon enough

NodeNomad

You use a pretty broad definition of the word but this forum is about P2P software When you discuss P2P you definition of sharing is incorrect in the since that while you may yourself be contributing to the network there are others who use you definition are not. In th P2P definition of sharing they are Leaches.

So in the P2P world your definition is not correct. Most of the other apps you talk about E Mule, Bittorent, use bandwidth measurement to stop leaching LimeWire does not which is probably why you find a lot of leaches running LimeWire.

I believe Browse host should be mandatory and it needs to be improved upon and made to where it works 100% of the time if it did it could then be used as a useful tool to stop leaches.I myself could care less if you or anybody else browse me. If you ever watch you library while using LW you will see that the vast majority of files are not available unless you browse and click on the link directly due to the fact that my DL & Q slots are always full.

And you forgot definition #3 of people who want it to be optional The people who are paranoid that they are going to be busted for carrying on an illegal activity and are afraid to stand up and fight for their rights as a free society. Those who would rather let the RIAA and other organizations take their rights away rather than fight for them.

Below are quotes from Wikipedia

Quote:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Quote:
Sharing is the joint use of a resource. In its narrow sense, it refers to joint or alternating use of an inherently finite good, such as a common pasture or a timeshared residence. In a broader sense, it can also include the free granting of use rights to a good that is capable of being treated as a nonrival good, such as information. Still more loosely, "sharing" can actually mean giving something as an outright gift: for example, to "share" ones food really means to give some of it as a gift.
Quote:
Concepts like leeching or hoarding come about where the one centralized person will collect files and later refuse to make those available to others.
Quote:
In peer-to-peer file sharing networks, leeching is downloading while uploading little or nothing.

java.com - Hot Games, Cool Apps

A little common sense goes a long way

Later Grandpa