View Single Post
Old January 18th, 2006
Novicius

blackhill is flying high

First of all I’d like to apologize in advance if any of the following questions have been dealt with before. Since however I don’t have the time to browse everything in the forum I decided to go ahead with posting my questions here. By the way, I did have a look already at the forum, faq, tips and learned a few things for which I am grateful.

Before I proceed with the questions I should add that I’m a new user of LimeWire and my general knowledge of computers is rather limited I’d say so please don’t fry me if any of my questions are too silly.

Question 1: Can the downloading/uploading settings (options, downloads, uploads, percentage of bandwidth) ever be accurate? I tested my connection, I have broadband, but every time the tests yielded different results.

Examples of the results I got:
1 Download size: 200 KB Download time: 15.547 seconds Download speed: 103 Kbps (kilobits per second)
2 Download size: 200 KB Download time: 10.735 seconds Download speed: 149 Kbps (kilobits per second)
3 Download size: 200 KB Download time: 5.422 seconds Download speed: 295 Kbps (kilobits per second)

Question 2: If I understand it right the downloading speed depends among other things on where the host is located. How is it possible, if it is at all, to determine where the host is?

Question 3: I’ve read in the forum people talking about using LimeWire at optimum speeds. What would be the optimum downloading speed for a broadband connection, if let say I am downloading from a single host with T1 connection?

Question 4: How is it possible to download something only from 1 or 2 hosts when the search showed that there are let say 10 hosts?

Question 5: How is it possible to download something at zero speed? I would imagine that either something is downloadable or it is not. The zero speed and still downloading does not make much sense to me.

Question 5: What is killing an upload (right click on an up-loader in the monitor screen)?

That’s it for now. Thanks for any answers in advance. I should add before I end this that my main problem is downloading big files (movies) at small speeds. With songs LimeWire works just fine for me.

Cheers