View Single Post
Old January 20th, 2006
Apprentice

benyahuda is flying high
Default Re: The problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerah
I had the problem at first with frostwire, especially through my high speed proxy, but it seems that Frostwire, unlike Limewire needs you to enable large system cache possibly and definitely have a pagefile, even though I have 2 GB of RAM. I'd set processor time to background services too which I've always had so that Java gets equal processing time as Frostwire. It is much better than limewire Pro even though similar interface. It just works for connecting to users through my proxy so much better, and the fact they aren't working on censoring P2P is a definite plus. But yes it don't search as fast even when running right but compare user connectivity to Limewire, much better. But the crash is a windows issue you can override by applying the settings I said. They all can be accessed by right clicking on My computer, then clicking settings under performance. I set my pagefile to 3 GB as I have 2 GB RAM and 180 GB hard drive. You should set a static size so windows don't waste processing time adjusting it. Good luck.
I already have a goodly sized page file (4096 min - 4096 max) and also have 2 gigs of ram which I don't believe to be a problem anyway. If I have a process manager running it usually shows that I'm using less than 500 MB ram and about 160 MB of the pagefile. Storage is no problem either as I have nearly a terrabyte of HD's.

This crashing does NOT happen with old builds OR the new LimeWire beta. So I Have a little trouble laying the blame on a Windows problem as it ONLY happens with my LimeWire Pro and the current release of Frostwire. The crash is something serious though. As with both applications it isn't just the application freezing or crashing. It is a fatal system error which does NOT appear in the system log but does result in a reboot.

I will agree that while FrostWire has not been stable on my system it definately seems to be faster than LimeWire, even Pro. It has been too unstable to actually test accurately. But after running them both as well as they will. Starting one right after the other has crashed, with the same searches, download lists, and upload lists, FrostWire seems faster.