View Single Post
Old January 22nd, 2006
Valued Member contributor

Grandpa will become famous soon enough

For many years I used WinMx and the greatest feature was a add on app called MxMonitor. You say that the option to turn off browse host would not encourage leaching, I say you are wrong.

When I used MxMonitor it had the ability to ban leaches (IE) if they had browse host disabled and MxMonitor was enabled it would attempt to browse them if results came back as 0 share it blocked there request and banned them.

If I cleared my ban list at the beginning of a session within 24 to 48hrs. I would have a 200 banded. About 10% of these baned users would send me a message asking me why I would not allow them to DL from me. I would reply because they were not sharing and were leaching and I do not share with leaches. I told them I would un block them if they started sharing and explained to them that I used MxMonitor and it would ban them if they Qed me and they were not sharing.

Guess what 90% of these people admittedly were not sharing an 10% said they were sharing. Of the 90% that were not sharing about 60% would enable sharing and browse host thus they could download from me if they got in line and waited their turn.

Now admittedly LimeWire browse host does not work very well. And as I have said before it needs to be fixed once this happens then we need a add on app like MxMonitor or perhaps they could incorporate it into LimeWire.

Once that happens Then I could really give a crap if the put a option to disable browse host but if you enable it I will bet it will eliminate about 70% of your download sources. I know you would not be DL from me.

In my opinion the only reason for disabling browse host is so you can leach. And as I explained before I do have personal experience with it.

If you are sharing things you are afraid you are going to get in trouble for then quit sharing them. Disabling browse host will not stop someone from getting you IP address if you are sharing illegal material they don't have to browse you to get you IP Address.

java.com - Hot Games, Cool Apps

A little common sense goes a long way

Later Grandpa