View Single Post
Old January 22nd, 2006
Apprentice

benyahuda is flying high

{Quote........Originally posted by Lord of the Rings
Is it possible for any of you to open LW, leave it by itself & have incompletes start downlding on their own? If yes, please allow this & see if the cpu/ram use is as high as before. And that's without using the search function at all. I'd be curious to know whether the LW file searching is causing this jump in cpu/ram use........)

I Tried this on a new XP Pro Install (unmodified-i.e.. not nlited or anything that might compromise the test) with J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6 and then installed FrostWire. I pointed FrostWire at existing shared folders and it immediately picked up just like it should.

It settled down with downloading 5 or 6-7 files at approximately 100 Kbs and uploading a few at about 40 Kbs (no search used - just existing files as asked). I started Process Explorer and let it graph CPU usage and for the entire time FrostWire ran until it crashed (about 12 -15 minutes) I never saw CPU usage pass 70% (I was doing some other things too) and FrostWire by itself never took more than about 28%, usually it was around 18% or so.

I then uninstalled FrostWire and cleaned up the loose ends I could (from the uninstall) and installed the newest LimeWire beta that I have and everything is OK. No crashing.

And while I didn't give LimeWire Pro a try this time I'm convinced from recent experience that it would have started crashing too. It just would have run a little longer before crashing.

By the by, I re-ran FrostWire four times and it crashed all four times. Never running more than 15 minutes or so before the crash.

And for Grandpa the results from the speed tests were:
  • running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 244.46Kb/s
    running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 2.96Mb/s
    Your receive buffer (32.0 KByte) limits the application to 2.76 Mbps
    The network based flow control limits the application to 2.88 Mbps
    Client Data reports link is 'T1', Client Acks report link is 'T1'

Last edited by benyahuda; January 22nd, 2006 at 10:14 PM.