View Single Post
Old December 9th, 2001
anti-bearshare

uhhh, no one is talking about "requerying" (sending queries out at a specific interval) the network. Everyone is talking about PASSIVE searching. Meaning it would monitor the results sent out to the other hosts you're connected to that pass through you. For example

Host A, B, and C are connected together as I have shown,

A <-> B <-> C

Host A has a filename named 111

Host B has a filename named 222

Host C has a filename named 333

Well host B wants file 333, but he doesnt want to send a query out to the network because he knows it is such a broad/general search it would generate a lot of traffic. So he does a PASSIVE SEARCH. The PASSIVE SEARCH is just sitting there watching results go pass and seeing if it sees anything with 333.

ok....

Well Host A also wants file 333. He doesnt really care about network traffic, he just wants the file. So he sends out a query for 333. Well the query go to Host B then to Host C. Well Host B doesnt have file 333 so it doesnt send anything back. But Host C does. So it sends a PONG (I think) back through the connection, to Host B then to Host A saying Host C has that file. Well when that result passes through Host B, the PASSIVE SEARCH picks it up and displays it. Then if Host B wants that file he just tries to directly connect to Host C to download the file, like it does already.

I hope this cleared some things up for you.