View Single Post
Old December 9th, 2001
Pileoffiles

Angry

Becker, Morgwen

I'd hardly call my comments crying. And I'm not sure why I'm suddenly under attack as a 'freeloader' since I thought I made it abundantly clear that I don't condone such actions. I still don't agree with the philosophy that forces sharing. It treats people like idiots and doesn't address the root of the problem.

Gnutella is dead? Please. If it's so bad why are you moderating a Bearshare forum? When Napster sold out where did everyone go to? Gnutella. Now that Fasttrack network has to deal with lawsuits how long will do you think Morpheous will last? And where will all these folks go? Gnutella.

"Actually the most files are shared by 5% of the peers..." Yea? So? If you want that percentage to go up then you need more people to dedicate their machines for longer periods of time. It's a basic p2p principle. Most people log on, get what they want, and drop off - plain and simple. That's not good but that's the real problem. Software is not going to fix that. Discussion, education, and open forums will.

Once you give in and say it's OK for software to limit your ability to do something, it just gets worse and worse. And as you've nicely illustrated in subsequent reply's, your already thinking up more ways to lock down the user from doing anything at all. That direction will ultimately ruin p2p file sharing for everyone.

This is a community, not a social experiment. Let freedom reign