View Single Post
Old February 1st, 2006
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

Quote:
Originally posted by GooRoo
I just followed your excellent 'cook book' instructions... P.S. That same search just returned the very obscure result I was looking for. uni-sex if you're female.
Hahaha sorry I couldn't help but have a laugh.

File Definition & separation within LW

Ok the reason i'm posting is a difficult one which is probably an impossibility. As it may well depend on OS classifications of extensions, definitions, etc.

What I'd like to see is a clarification of video formats. Be that filtering results or just some way of separating them. What am I talking about .. here: mpg/mpeg can mean anything from mpeg 1, 2 or 4 for filesharing. Mpeg 4 can mean a large range of variations & parts. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG4 to see what I mean. They all may require separate codecs to open. Being able to identify an mpeg before downlding would be very handy!!!

AVI is the same. AVI is such a vague term ... a little like quicktime ... which can be any format. AVI can even be mpeg 4. It can also be quite a no. of other things.

So if you're getting a rough understanding of what I'm meaning now, some way of separating the definition of these files found in searches would be very beneficial. eg: H.264 format. or files compatible with iPod import. Or files that are known to be compatible with your particular version of burner. eg: DivX 3 or 5 ... etc.

So is this purely an OS definition thingy or can LW do better?

Whilst we're on the topic, a separation between mp3 & mp3pro would also be good! Since mp3pro is only good for very low bit rates & iTunes can't play mp3pro which is not a major loss but a nuisance. And people simply don't know why some of their low bit rate files won't play in iTunes. !!! Edit: That's if they were encoded at low bit rates. mp3pro could be used at any bit rate depending on the player.

Last edited by Lord of the Rings; February 1st, 2006 at 01:39 PM.