Thread: Filtering fakes
View Single Post
Old February 9th, 2006
Novicius

locus is flying high

Sorry to harp on about this issue but the more I think about it, the more I believe that an option to filter search results from such hosts would be a good thing.

I'm not talking about stopping leachers from accessing my files, but about a method to avoid downloading fakes. If I as a user want to be overly paranoid and restrictive about what I click on, surely I'd be doing no harm to anyone else, and surely an option to help me be paranoid isn't bad?

Along the same lines, it seems that many fakes spread via the "sharing incomplete files" option that most clients seem to have on by default. Therefore as well as not wanting to download or see files from hosts that don't allow browsing, what about only downloading from hosts that have the complete file?

LW/FW etc seem to work on the assumption that other users in the network are honest community members, however this is what the people behind overpeer etc use to infiltrate the network with piles of rubbish. I don't know how technically possible the above suggestions would be to implement, but in concept wouldn't they be helpful?