View Single Post
Old February 12th, 2006
Apprentice

jerle78 is flying high
Question Search Results - The 7's Phenomenon

Hello All,

Lately, I've been noticing a very interesting phenomenon (i had to look up the spelling on that word... thank god for google!) On some of my recent specific searches (i.e. "system of a down question" or "Kelly Clarkson hazel eyes"), I immediately get a population of results, however the most hosts per result I ever get is 7. The rest of the results then trickle down to 6, 5... and so on. All in all, i will get somewhere in the vicinity of 82-121 results total. Not of these results will ever begin downloading, though. This immediately alerts me that these are bogus results (prolly from the RIAA) so i quit using those search terms.

Instead, I perform a much broader search (i.e. "Kelly Clarkson" or "System of a Down") and may get far more hosts per results for the same file I was searching for previously.

If this sounds confusing, let me simplify it:

1. I search for "Kelly Clarkson hazel eyes"
2. I get 82 results of "Kelly Clarkson - Behind these Hazel Eyes" which is what I'm looking for.
3. I sort by number of hosts.
4. Top of the 6 on the list have 7 hosts per result.
5. That tells me (through experience) that these 82 results are all bogus.
6. I search for just "Kelly Clarkson"
7. I get hundreds of results.
8. One of those results is "Kelly Clarkson - Behind these Hazel Eyes" which has 64 hosts.
9. Wait a minute.... just 10 seconds ago, there were only 7 hosts for this very same file. wtf?!

so that's it... I always get what i'm looking for, but i'm just curious if I'm the only one who has noticed this phenomenon and if anyone has found a way to get around this.

Also, what could cause Phex to limit the results on a specific search as opposed to a broad search?

Anyway... just curious.

later!
Jerle