View Single Post
Old December 12th, 2001
LimeWire Developer

afisk is flying high

Tony-

I think there's a bit of confusion between the label on the lower left of the connections tab that reads either "UltraPeer" or "Client" in brackets and what you are actually acting as. The label at the lower left simply indicates whether or not we have measured that you are capable of becoming and UltraPeer. Whether or not you are actually acting as an UltraPeer is determined by whether or not you have connections where the protocol is listed as "leaf."

The earlier posts did not explicitly state that the user was really an UltraPeer and then disconnected all cllient connections when it found another UltraPeer. This would be very surpising, and is something we have definitely coded against. Rather, it is very possilbe, and even a frequent occurence, for a node to be UltraPeer-capable (but not actually acting as an UltraPeer), and to disconnect all other connections when it encounters another UltraPeer.

If any of the earlier posters thinks that this is not the case, please let me know. Also, if anyone else sees the behavior that Tony descibed, please let us know. From my reading of the earlier posts, however, this was not the case.

Thanks.