View Single Post
Old February 14th, 2006
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

I didn't get around to trying 4.10.7, but just trying 4.10.8 now. I notice my pre-4.9 incompletes refused to load. lol Anyway more to today's issues, I've been finding some odd behaviour. Tiger 10.4.4 with Java 1.5; Audio downlds are seeming to freeze LW during verification (just small files) but the downld & importation into iTunes still continues. I was surprised to see my search & verfication freeze (at 90%) but then iTunes open & import. Similar for the next file. A total freeze of LW except for prefs. 3rd downld the same, froze at 93% verification but iTunes still imported it. The freeze seems to last for a reasonable time after iTunes has imported it. There doesn't appear to be any jump in VM or ram during that time but cpu does jump up.

In one search (my 1st) I initially obtained many results, but suddenly these disappeared. These were files of all sizes & names & artists. I ended up with "only" results of the artist I was after. The search tab shows eg 40/80 as though the others have been filtered out. I didn't see why the others should have been filtered out. CPU is running around 15-20% for a simple downld & upld, 167 MB ram, 543 MB VM, after 4rth search & 1 browse. A browse seems to shoot cpu up to about 50%, with vm & ram staying about the same. End of browse cpu drops down. I have to say since all my searches were for the one artist, not one of them shows any other artists. Is this something new or is this the junk filter gone wild (the level is set on mildish)? I haven't filtered out much at all - just 2 in fact. Or do you think this complication is related to me using old preferences? I forgot to mention, I was doing Any Type searches not audio type searches. And it was only the very 1st search that showed a 40/40 result with the other 40 disappearing. The rest "only" showed the artist I was searching.

The search tab seems to jump into the next hidden thingy ... I have to select that search from the arrow next to the tab to see it when multiple search tabs are present.

But I'm not so far suffering the vm issue I did with the initial 4.10 release. But then I'm running Java 1.5 & Tiger now.

2nd edit: Update: 4rth downld froze at 98% verif. & cpu jumps all around between 50-85%, mostly around the 80% mark during this time & freeze lasts for about 1 minute.

3rd edit: Now some hours later. I did a search, started downlding a file & despite another 2 results (sources) showing up it went to busy host, so I pressed cancel & LW froze up for just over 2 mins. I was still mid-way through the search also. When the freeze stopped, the search had finished. I was at least able to reselect the downld & get it downlding from 2 of the 3 hosts in the search results. But then, I lost one of the hosts & the other went to busy again. So I repeated the process, same thing ... freeze for over 2 mins. cpu jumping between 30-50% & vm 589 & ram 237. Then same thing happened a 3rd time running. cpu goes back down to 20% or less afterward. I had another downld going but this wasn't affected, although it of course froze in the downld window but didn't seem to be affected when the freeze stopped. (BTW I use a Quicksilver 733 with 1.5 GB pc 133-333 ram.)

4th Edit: (almost an hour later) I notice that the file that I cancelled earlier, after coming out of Busy Host, then downlds with 2 sources for a short time but very quickly goes back to busy (after about 10-15 secs & stays busy for 1-2 mins). That's very odd it should do this from 2 hosts simultaneously. Almost as though it is the same host. Well there's about 1 second difference between the 1st & 2nd host starting to downld from. Ah I've noticed it's not always 2 hosts. But did this for some time anyway up until a couple of mins ago. It downlds at 10-13 KB/s or 5 KB/s (depending on occasion). I started this downld about an hr ago.

Last edited by Lord of the Rings; February 15th, 2006 at 12:59 AM.