View Single Post
Old December 12th, 2001
Gnutella Veteran

John Blackbelt Jones is flying high

Message routing is not necessarily contributing to the network, it always depends on how many connections you have, and I heard there were people who get a couple of hundred results and drop all connections to enhance their downloading experience...

Yet, I don't think there are too many freeloaders using gnutella, since there are networks where freeloading is made much more enjoyable, because they have a lot more users and ten times the content of Gnutella.

Btw: many of the assumed advantages of swarming are not all quite proven yet and I doubt freenet-style swarming will still be possible AFTER introducing supernodes. A shielded client would no more see, which files are requested most often, so he wouldn't know what to download. And it could create a lot of traffic... Is anyone able to describe how it should be implemented? E.g. how big should the partial files be, how they will be identified and in what way a client could decide which files to download? The most interesting question would be, if this will be efficient, since Gnutella, as a chaotic network, organizes itself to a certain extend, and often requested files will be shared more often automatically after a certain time...