View Single Post
Old December 17th, 2001
Ringwraith

Abaris is flying high

I disagree completely with your point of view:

- you said that modem users could not profit much from swarming. it is correct that they do not profit as much as highspeed users. but concerning the current download speed of the network, swarming could easily double make their download speed twice or three times as much, and i call that profit.

- you only tell half the truth: modem users do profit much less of it. but of course then they also harm the network much less! a highspeed user who is simultaneously downloading 5 files could well use up to 30 hosts for swarm sources. a modem user could hardly ever use more than 3 hosts until his bandwidth is maxed out.

- even with swarming modem users can download very slow. that is why most modem users are downloading far less then highspeed users. how many modem users do you know who are downloading complete divx movies ? and how many highspeed users do you know who don't do it ? and using swarming, highspeed users will even download more than know.

- you say that modem users should not be swarm downloaders, but swarm uploaders, if i got you right. are you crazy??? modem users have about 8 kbps of bandwith. when you download a huge file from 6 modem users, you decrease the bandwidth of 6 modem users who are theirselves not allowed to benefit from swarming.

modem users have so little bandwith! it's bad enough that you don't want them to max out the little bit they have, but it's even worse that you want to take something from them in order to max out yours! it must be said clearly: it is NOT modem users who shorten the available upload slots. one highspeed connection can easily consume ten times as many slots as a modem user. and they DO it. they are not only consuming more slots, they are also downloading more frequently. your thoughts are not at all a means to help the network. it is a means to exploit modem users. i have the strong impression that none of you is actually using a modem to share files. modem users like me have 8 kbps and i give half of it for uploading. Tru, do you really think you would encourage me to anything when you tell me that you want do take from me, but you are not willing to give to me? we ARE the majority of the network and i for instance am strongly against any such kind of elitist "upper-class" ideology. on a peer-to-peer Network, either everyone should be allowed to use swarming, or noone should.

-- comments ?