TruStarwarrior is flying high

Hi milhouse

Thanks for the link!
:-)

Hi Abaris
Quote:
-- comments ?
Plenty...

I'm glad you have an opinion of your own. But please do not force it on others. We are all entitled to our own opinion.

To be in the right context, please read (or skim/review/whatever) this thread:
http://www.gnutellaforums.com/showth...&threadid=6349

Now, time for comments....

You seem to stress equality for all. However this is not practical, nor realistic. (this is NOT about civil rights, so don't even go there) If the Internet followed your philosophy, everyone would have the same speed connection. No one would be able to have a smaller or larger bandwidth than any other person. This is an slightly extreme, yet viable example, but the idea remains. When it comes to Internet bandwidth, what you pay for is what you get.

As the gnutella network stands, too much of a modem user's bandwidth is used up by Gnutella traffic (pings/pongs/etc). So much, in fact, that hardly any bandwidth is left for downloading or uploading. By restructuring the network similarly to LimeWire's UltraPeer network topology, much less bandwidth will be wasted. If a more efficient protocol is put in place, perhaps then it would be practical for modem users to use swarm downloads.
Quote:
a highspeed user who is simultaneously downloading 5 files could well use up to 30 hosts for swarm sources
What you fail to take into account is that 30 hosts are busy for 1/30 of the time that a 5 hosts would be busy. This, in effect, would always leave free hosts. Of course, the number of upload slots would need to be increased on each node, but that is a simple matter to fix. In a peer to peer network, information is distributed more evenly and as not as centralized as some classic client/server models. Why not have the responsibility of uploading laid on the the network more evenly so that popular hosts are not always bogged down with uploading massive amounts of information on their own?
Quote:
and using swarming, highspeed users will even download more than know.
Correct!! If people download more, that's just a consequence of having a more efficient network. When Intel (or IBM for you Macsters out there ;-)) releases a faster processor, we develop applications that require more processing power. Any benefits we develop tend to be taken advantage of, and then they become the norm instead of the advantage. But this is how advancement works. This law of computing has been proven time and time again.
Quote:
you say that modem users should not be swarm downloaders, but swarm uploaders, if i got you right. are you crazy?
Yes, I am crazy - you better start calling the asylum now, or I just might go ballistic...
Most modem users (the majority of the network) are forced to be freeloaders because uploading anything would not allow them to download anything. If they had more bandwidth freed up, they would be more willing to share.
Quote:
modem users have so little bandwith! it's bad enough that you don't want them to max out the little bit they have
I never said that. Like I said earlier, right now Swarming will not help modem users. Perhaps it will when their bandwidth is freed up a bit by more efficient Gnutella protocol standards.
Quote:
but it's even worse that you want to take something from them in order to max out yours...Tru, do you really think you would encourage me to anything when you tell me that you want do take from me, but you are not willing to give to me?...i for instance am strongly against any such kind of elitist "upper-class" ideology.
This might shock you, but I am a modem user too. And yes, I do share. About 6 GBs worth of stuff. All recent movie soundtracks. I am distressed to see that I cannot upload very many files. I get disconnected often. The files are only partially uploaded, and the downloader may have problems resuming their download. Swarming would allow me to upload the maximum amount possible, and I wouldn't have to worry about whether it finished or not. I WANT to upload, but I can't upload much of anything because I am restricted by my modem bandwidth and choked with Gnutella traffic.

{END TRANSMISSION}

{AND SARCASM}

Greetings,

Last edited by TruStarwarrior; December 17th, 2001 at 11:47 PM.