View Single Post
Old December 18th, 2001
Ringwraith

Abaris is flying high

afisk:

i didn't say you were. i just meant to remind you. i am pretty sure that you have much to do and i understand that there may be difficulties in changing the measurement code and that you can't do it for the next release. nevertheless, i ask for the modem exclusion to being no more than temporarily.

anti-bearshare:

> The whole point is for a host to get the file as fast as it can so
> another host can download from them instead of lower speed
> connections. For example...

thank you, teacher. i know what it is about.

> There is nothing you can do about your bandwidth!? Thats like
> complaining who won an election when you're old enough to
> vote. Its just something you have to live with or get a faster
> connection.

it is not like that at all. actually there are locations where cable or dsl connections are not available. i live in one. shall i move to another town ? i don't even want to have more bandwidth. i want to use that what i have more efficiently. what's bad with that ?

> There should be no restriction from who you can download

really ? why should you use more download connections than you are giving upload connections ? why should you use more bandwidth for downloading than you offer for uploading ? what you say is a mandate for freeloading.

> Why dont we just get the RIAA and MPAA to regulate the
> Gnutella network. [...] This isnt Commie P2P either.

now do you take me for a communist or for an RIAA lobbyist? it seems that i am both to you...interesting really

> you dont try to have 5 downloads simultaneously and expect to
> be able to load a webpage within 30-60 seconds

Just listen: when i download a file, i get a transfer rate of 1-2 kbps most of the time. this is not due to network traffic - when i download two different files simultaneously, i get much more. but i don't want to download two different files in order to use my bandwidth effectively. i want to download one file from two sources simultaneously. when i download a 100mb file (what i don't do frequently), shall i download another 100mb of mp3s (that i don't even want at that time) in order to not waste my bandwidth?

don't write nonsense about Commies and the RIAA, but answer me one simple question: if i am allowed to download two or three different files simultaneously, why should i not be allowed to downlad one file from two or three different sources simultaneously ? why is the latter one hurting the network ?

maybe a 2-3 kbps gain is not much to you. it is the world to me. it more than doubles my transfer speed. you benefit of swarming, why shouldn't i? i don't hurt the network more than you do. a swarm download of n sources uses these sources for 1/n of the time than a standard download, being a modem user or t3 user does not matter a heck.

when developers are troubled about decreasing the number of available upload slots when everyone uses swarming, they should bind download connections to possible upload connections. they should not select one group of users and disable swarming for them. this is not about communism, it is about fairness.