View Single Post
Old March 22nd, 2006
Novicius

cyphem is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by et voil�
Cyphem, there is no "real" need for a new logo, but if one is better we'll choose it since it will be better for the project no matter what.
And when do you think, you are done with the search for a logo? Do you think it's good for the project if you change your face from week to week?

Quote:
I'm tired of you telling that there has been a contest and that we should stick to it -- we used the winner logo. Then, there was something better, so we used it. Get over it.
wtf?

Can you say 'ignorance'?

Quote:
As much as I'm tired of Alkalinex's desire for a new logo while the website is what is need to work on, I do not see positivism on your side.
No ****.

Could this possibly be because all my enthusiasm and work I put in the project in the first place was - by different actions - just swept away?

Quote:
The show must go on. Someone not having fun or interest with any of his activity sphere on an OSS project should do something else.
So you're stating that if ppl don't find your actions funny they should just leave. Or do you state that, even if people had fun contributing to this project, when it comes to problems they should ignore them and keep on putting energy into a project which couldn't care less?

Quote:
Let us have fun even if it is redundant.
Oh, *that's* how you see it. Let's goof around, make some graphics, ignore them, have fun, haha.
You know what? When THIS is what you think is helping an upcoming project is all about, then good night to FW. I want to enjoy working on this thing too.
But just imagine what it looks like if we switched positions. Imagine you are contributing a module which you wrote and which would in your eyes improve the whole software.
You then upload it to a CVS or something and maybe there is even a vote if it is good and then suddenly someone deletes it. You ask why but you get no answer. Some weeks later, the project leaders search for a person who is supposed to code a module just like you did.

Wouldn't you feel like: OMGWTF!?

And what would you think if then someone tells you he's tired of reading your complaints and tells you to get over it. I guess then you'd go OMGWTFBBQ! or you would just turn away and let the project go to hell.

Let me clarify two things though: I know that my example doesn't represent the exact situation I'm complaining about. But the main issue is the same. The other point is, that I certainly don't think that I do the best logos or that the project would fail without my contributions. Hell no! I even think there are better designers out there.

But my point is that just goofing around, doing something redudant, ignoring other peoples work and effort will just NOT bring the project to something the people who worked on it, could be proud of.
You want to be a substitute for limewire? Then stop ******* around with the help you get offered and integrate the ppl as best as you can.

Quote:
Originally posted by ultracross

If you wish to post your previous or new works, you can post it at your own leisure. We will take all art posted or sent to us into consideration. We also *GREATLY* appreciate the support, time and effort that each artist puts into his work.
That's good to hear. Unfortunately this is the first time one could get the impression that at least someone cares.
Quote:
The reason I am wanting a new design (or designer) is that we could not contact the current artist on a regular basis.
This is very well understandable and not the problem. If there are problems with a logo (let it be no contact to the designer, legal issues like copyrights or whatnot) I'm the last one to complain about a logo switch.

Quote:
As et_voila previously said, we are an open source project, and we need the support of the community to move ahead.
Absolutely ACK.
The only problem is when a support from the community - like in this case - is not really accepted or taken for granted.
To me it seems like the logos and ideas offered were not good enough from your PoV. No problem with that. But you could have told the people or make an announcement or something like that where the people get the feeling that even if their work is not chosen, their efforts are at least not ignored.
You say thank you to the contributing coders, don't you? And when their stuff has to be improved, you don't ignore the work done before but try to develop it, don't you?

Quote:
I havent yet decided how the project will choose the artist. Maybe we could do a forum poll for the top picks? Then each top 3(?) graphic will get there 15 mins of fame and be added to each new version of frostwire... So, each new version that comes out, a new top 3(?) pick will take the place of the previous graphic. Then let the community pick which one they like most. Maybe we could do that?
Well, the decision of what is best should be either done by people who know how a project like FW should be represented and which have knowledge to see potential problems or opportunities in a logo and whom not decide only by aesthetics.
Or you let the community decide which can always be a problem due to eventually not participating members, hence no real representation or support for logos due to support for the people behind the logo which will not lead to the best objective solution.

What way you as the project leaders choose is up to you. But I really think that changing the logo from week to week should not be an option. If you want to create a brand you need consistency! The current actions are the exact opposite of that.
Maybe the splash could change from release to release. But the logo should not.

I'm glad though, that there are still people who understand my points.
Thanks for listening.