View Single Post
Old March 24th, 2006
Novicius

tangrene is flying high
Unhappy Bearshare Pro new update with W32.licum alerts?

Hi, did any of you also find yourBearshare Pro /Norton Antivirus alerts saying that there was a W32.licum worm stopped? I ...against my better judgement decided to go ahead and install the (auto) downloaded update I did NOT ask for. B-4 doing so...I complained to Bearshare Pro that I did not like them forcing a download on me. http://www.gnutellaforums.com/newthr...ad&forumid=70#
http://www.gnutellaforums.com/newthr...ad&forumid=70#

I was probably a little more concerned than usual because of this...so I searched their so called help forum to see if there was anyone screaming of problems with the new update. Nothing noted...so I carefully installed the update on my dime...doing all the things a good PC user does...turn off all programs Except Antivirus and Firewall and spybot, Spyguard, etc. LOL Immediately upon restarting Bearshare Pro...I got the alerts you mentioned...And since I had indeed the intention to download files I went ahead and said OK...still more and more alerts...while checking my antivirus settings for Bearshare I got a w32.licum worm event...and well you can figure the rest. I did the appropriate things while cussing and then spent a few nights locking firewall anytime I was not in front of screen. Did the reading...then email to Bearshare. This was 3/6/2006. They emailed back...said there was a response at said link to their forum...but said link shows no questions or answers for my incident. Well this problem with thier "forum" has gone on and on...and well I finally got another email tonight...and they simply sent me a link to a Bearshare Pro Installer. Nothing to indicate that they actually understood my concern...nothing to indicate this was a known problem or nothing. SOOOO I have spent a few hours searching for anyone complaining of this same problem. It took some time but I see that I am not alone. My security is pretty tight here...my only risky behaviour is the occasional night downloading some music video's. I watch closely the size of the files...and since music videos are usually 35+ I don't see problems with viruses/worms. Now IF there is someway someone is able to put a worm into a music video?? I'm not one to just go complain...I do the searchs and reading first to see if there is an answer out there and usually I find it and solve problems on my own...but all I found is some folks complaing about the "beta" or new update crashing their computers. This is not the problem here...or maybe it would have been had I left the program up to run. Once I uninstalled the new update...ran a good check of security/ports/Dcom settings, etc...I reinstalled my OLD version and all is well so far...however I have not let it run for long since I just am being extra careful just in case there was a serious problem with the guys running Bearshare. Any info you have concerning this is appreciated. Like I told Bearshare....I have done alot of beta testing these last 15+ years...but I did so with a clear knowledge that I was running a beta program and paid close attention to what interacted with what. But I DO NOT want to Beta test Bearshare Pro cause access to a good forum/database is no longer supported. Hope this little description helps others looking for same problems.