Thread: Connection
View Single Post
Old March 29th, 2006
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation
Default Connection - A success story - please post this to my thread

Originally sent by foolofthehill in pm

It's about time to announce some success to you guys.

Following the advice of LOTR, I finally got LW back on track (I'm crossing my fingers that this will stay that way).
So, what did I do?!?
First I rebooted my computer. Then I deleted my " .limewire " folder, which is located in the same folder as the 'WINDOWS' folder (and yes, the 'point' in front of the word " limewire " is part of the folder name, though I knew this before, but have seen that others here on the forum do not know).
Then I opened Lime Wire and went through the prompts, which will pop up after you've deleted the " .limewire " folder. In those prompts I confirmed ( clicked " Next" ) the chosen language (in my case English), confirmed the connection speed (in my case dsl ), confirmed the folder in which the downloaded files will be stored and shared, un-marked the box when ask about automatic start up (or is it automatic connection ?), confirmed two times the reference to possible firewall pop-ups (though none of them occured at that stage), marked "No" when asked whether I would like to let Lime Wire search my computer for possible files to share, until I reached the final "OK" and then Lime Wire opened. When I saw that it tried to start connecting, I clicked on "file" (located in the upper left corner of the Lime Wire window) and chose "disconnect". I then went to " Tools " (which is located on the same line than " File" - the fifth word from left), clicked on it and chose " Options". On the left side of the opening window I went down until I found the word " Advanced" (actually the last word in the list there). I clicked on it and a new row of words appeared ( the words are : Preferencing, Firewall Config, Proxy, System Startup ). I then clicked on the word " Firewall Config ", which caused the right side of the same window to change its appearance. In the field which says " listen on port " (which is on the upper right of that window) I typed the number "35248" (which matches the number I have already applied to my firewall settings).

In the lower part of the same window I made sure that the " Use UPnP (Recommended) " has a green point in front of it. Then I pressed "apply" (which is located in the lower right corner of the same window) and then 'OK' (located on the same line as "Apply" - the third word from right), which caused the window to close. Then I closed Lime Wire again (completely, means also the in the system tray of my computer - on the same line as the clock of my computer). Well, then I opened Lime Wire again and gave it some 5 minutes to try to connect. And now I am connected again - Turbo Charged. The only weired thing is, when writing all this I looked once more on the Firewall Config in Lime Wire and found that the ' listen on port' is back to the number "6346".......
Oh, before I forget it, while doing all of the above, I had my 'Peer Guardian 2' disabled. Now I have enabled it again and do not have any problems with it running.
You know, when you write such a long extensive explaination of 'how to do it', then you start to understand and to appreciate the great work that guys like 'Lord Of The Ring", 'Birdy", "et voilą" and all the others here do, on a daily basis, voluntarily.
So, thanks pals for being here and sharing your knowledge !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mario