View Single Post
Old March 31st, 2006
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only A Hobo
The option exists because of the American habit of misspelling words from British English
lol I also have an aussie flag option on my computer. I presume that includes a combination of both UK & US spellings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only A Hobo
No language adheres strictly to country borders ...
I believe the same is true for many countries around the world. Even in african countries there can be multiple languages spoken in that country as african countries are not divided by language or culture. Also with asian countries you get great variations of the official language (which is usually that of the capital city.) You get hill tribes who speak very differently ... arguably not even dialects in some cases. Look at China ... you have over 50 accepted minority groups with their own dialects & in fact there's more that have not been officially recognised by the Chinese government. Same applies to Thai or Vietnamese. I had great problems understanding southern vietnamese but when I went to the north, it was like a breath of fresh air. I could not only understand them clearly but they could understand me without problems. But then in the middle of Nam they speak quite differently. They also have their hill-tribes as does Thailand & indonesia, philippines, etc. Philippines has multiple languages for example spoken by large %'s of the population. Even Japan has multiple dialects. Those in Nthn Japan have problems understanding those in the central (around old capital), south or particularly those in the minor islands.

Last edited by Lord of the Rings; March 31st, 2006 at 04:19 PM.