View Single Post
Old December 20th, 2001
LimeWire Developer

afisk is flying high

Hey guys, how's it going. Surprising to find you two over here in the farther reaches on the LimeWire forum discussing the mysterious intricacies of how the heck this whole thing works =).

This issue is really a relic from the pre-open source days of LimeWire. Probably about six months ago, LimeWire started up its own secret little host cache -- router4.limewire.com. We did this because router.limewire.com was getting overloaded by all of the traffic from all of the other clients. Seeing as we were doing all of this for free (connecting other clients to the network) we felt fine about creating our own secret little host server that would provide a bit more assurance that limewires would be able to connect through the LimeWire-only router4.limewire.com. In the gui, however, it still said "router.limewire.com" to avoid having everyone start hitting our server and not allowing us to get connected.

We're all trying to move to a more fancy distributed scheme where there's no fully static centralized connection point, but it's not a trivial problem.

Hope you both have a happy holiday -- I'll be going on vacation tomorrow, and I won't be back until January 8th (taking a nice trip down to St. Martin), so I won't be able to participate on the forum for a bit. Take care, guys.