View Single Post
Old April 3rd, 2006
Devotee

bulldog123 is flying high
Default MY ongoing conversation with Optimum Online

Last week I started having trouble with connecting to Limewire. I didn't change any firewall settings, and I didn't change any router settings or anything. So if there is anything they tell me to do, you can read about it here.

My first message to them:
I recently started having trouble connecting to a p2p program on my computer. It worked for about a year for me and all of a sudden it says I have a firewall on my computer. I have a router, but it's always been there and my connection programs only started recently. I also have a Firewall which I allowed all connections to and from the file-sharing program. All my other programs have no trouble connecting to the internet. What should I do? Please help me get my p2p program working again. Thanks.

Their reply:
P2P programs are unsupported items, that means that you can use it as long as you configure it, but if you have problems the program vendor is responsible for all troubleshooting and configuration, the mission of Optimum Online is make sure that you are able to browse the Internet and send and receive mails. My commendation is to contact the program vendor for assistance, since you mentioned that you have a firewall and a router I will start by disabling the firewall and if the issue persists bypass the router and connect one computer directly to the modem, the router is a hardware firewall by itself.

My reply:
It's not as though I just started having the problem as soon as I downloaded this p2p program. The program worked for me all along and I have no reason to believe it's my fault that all of a sudden, there's a connection problem. My router's firewall isn't the problem because it has always been there, for over a year like I said, and this issue arose last week. The firewall program on my computer isn't the issue either because all connections to and from the p2p program and the internet are allowed and have always been. I don't see why my firewall program would just decide for itself that it needs to block a program without notifying me. Also, I tried your suggestion, and plugged my modem directly into my computer without the router. I am still unable to connect. You say that "the mission of Optimum Online is make sure that you are able to browse the Internet and send and receive mails" but I am not able to get that program to connect to the internet. Please help me out with this issue. Do you have any ideas to solve my problem? Thank you.

That's all so far. Seems like the guy didn't read my letter or just ignored it and made up his own reply. I'll update this thread with responses.