View Single Post
Old April 11th, 2006
Novicius

NewCyberian is flying high

Chuckie... Wrote you about half a book... Got hit by one of those Cyberian snap crackle pop events and it's gone. Sorry, don't have time to redo just now but... Control your clear downloaded from the options menu (set) jump to library and hit refresh. If they don't clear there is a fragment yet to be downloaded. They are what freeze your video when you try to play what seems to be almost (99%) complete. It's like a 10 foot section of bridge that's missing just after it starts over water. It's not much in the overall but you still end up in the river and can't get back up there to finish the crossing. As for a "universal" player... When they finish that universal translater from Star Trec it should hook right in. The multitude of Codecs are virtually like languages all of their own with no common thread other than being digital in nature. Like the common thread in language - They are all spoken, but there is no shared essence. Now compare those languages in the written forms - Russian, English, Chinese, Aribic, Hebrew. There is nothing about one that is even remotely similar to the other, even when they are saying exactly the same thing. But, you might find Crystal Player will play partial files when nothing else will (or can even identify its format) http://www.crystalplayer.com/CrystalPro.exe. Instead of hitting "launch" to preview your file jump out to the real directory location of the file <goto the incomplete sub directory> (explore button in library) right click the file and "open with" Crystal Player. It isn't a 100% sure thing. You still have to have enough of the file for it to have something to grab on to, but it sure does outperform all of the "big boys" when it comes to "unidentified format, file fragment, media samples". Haven't used it in quite a while, and it's come a long way since I used it last. Had to Google around for quite some time before I relocated it (all I could remember was it had something to do with ICE). So you have in fact done me a service in trying to locate it for you. Forgot all about it, and really look forward to playing with it again. Anyway, hope it helps... Stick with it guy, you'll get your arms around it soon enough, and you'll look back and wonder what it was that seemed so difficult at the time... Then it'll be up to you to pass your sage wisdom along to someone struggling to make their first trans Cyberian crossing without a compass, map, or faithful Shurpa to guide them...