Thread: Uploading...
View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2006
The Final Frontier

foolofthehill has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Rings
UPnP works by the program communicating with the device to open ports. UPnP is relatively new & some brands implementation of it isn't good & is unreliable.

Manual port forwarding means that the port(s) are set to be opened within the device by settings within the actual device software. The port is set to the specific ip address. Static ip is required or else, if you have a dynamic ip, the next time your ip address changed the port setting wouldn't work. That's why a static ip is so important. Port forwarding is more reliable than UPnP.

Games & video conferencing have traditionally required many ports to be opened. LW only needs one port to be opened.
Well, thanks LOTR, that's what I call comprehensive
I've changed my LW setting (as well as my Firewall) to a port in the higher range quite recently with some instant improvement in download speed. However, I did not create a static IP. Would have this been necessary? I'm actually not sure whether I have a dynamic IP (but I almost suspect, since the reason for dynamic IP's most likely lies in some sort of cost efficiency, which is a big "YES'YES" here in Thailand).
Would you mind telling me whether you use UPnP or static ip and could recommend it to me? (Any additional information necessary for making such a recommondation can be instantaniously provided )