View Single Post
Old May 26th, 2006
Novicius

toxic_bebop is flying high
Question Problem when playing .wma files...

I downloaded several .wma files today, and every single one I attempted to play would automatically open Winamp, which is already weird because it should play in LimeWire. Then a browser window pops up with a garbled http address and reads "the page cannot be displayed". Everytime I hit 'play' in Winamp it pops up another of the same browser windows.
I tried opening the files in Windows Media Player, which popped up a window indicating that I had to be redirected to a web address (pluginprovider.com) to download a license key to play the files. (By the way, I later typed the URL in and was redirected to an "Adult" website... sick.) So after agreeing to download the license key, it popped up a window asking for my name and e-mail address, it mentions that you are agreeing to accept "free e-mails", and the link to "terms and conditions" was non-functional. I figured I don't have much to lose anyways, so I entered my information. I received two e-mails from BNB Ideas, Inc., some "innovative" web marketing group, asking me to confirm my "subscription". So I did. I just wanted to play my music. Still the files will not open, I'm assuming the "license key" was never activated because WMP couldn't back it up when I tried, and right now I'm scanning for viruses because the whole thing is pretty f'd.
I can preview other downloads just fine, even the same songs from the same bands just in a different format (mp3), so for some reason just the .wma is doing this. Old .wma files I already have on my computer play fine, it's just the ones I've downloaded today on LimeWire. Anybody have a similar experience or solution to this?