View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2006
Novicius

zoe1982 is flying high
Default Spyware/Virus Attack

Well, I've been using Limewire for a long time -- and I love it -- but I noticed recently that a lot of the music downloads that appear as legitimate mp3s, end up being a link to some suspiscious website, or even Napster.

So, today I was looking for a specific mp3 and went through probably 50 of these bogus "mp3 file" links to that same suspiscious website (since you can't tell what's a REAL mp3 from a link, it's not like you can avoid it), and all of a sudden, IE starts popping up this bogus website and it starts downloading Spyware Strike onto my computer before I could even do anything about it! It took me 2 hours to figure out how to finally get rid of it off my computer for good (without it renaming itelf to something else elsewhere in my registry).

My point is, aren't these bogus mp3 imposter links prohibited, or is there anything that Limewire can do about it? Is there anything I can do about it? I mean, if these kinds of files keep expanding in numbers and they continue infecting people's computers, they're going to become hesitant to use Limewire anymore. I know it's certainly made me very nervous to even attempt to download anything for this reason.

I just thought I'd "report" it here, see if anyone is having the same issues, and if there's anything that be done about it.

zoe