View Single Post
Old June 28th, 2006
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default Insults, etc.

I would like to address the newbies in this thread, i.e. Whoisit, Mad Hatter and Catbox4.

First of all, Whoisit

The first thing you said in this thread was:
Quote:
every time you try to download something you get nothing but virus files which makes Limewire useless.
You did go onto qualify what you wrote in a different post but, as you can see, what you said is inflammatory. It also seems to show your basic lack of knowledge of how LW, or any P2P app, works and the necessary precautions you should take to protect your PC.

Whether all this is true I really don't know but I believe most of you newbies do not put much thought into what you are writing and you fail to realise your comments are being read by a worldwide audience that only knows you through what you write.

Mad Hatter

You are obviously not a newby and you have gained your experience through trial and error (and possibly reading the LW manual and the stickies). But the one issue I have with what you said is:
Quote:
Not everyone reads the user's manual when they download the software. (I wasn't even aware the information was there until well after I had paid for it.)
While this is true I get the feeling you condone (what I call) this reckless behaviour.

The reason we read is to learn, to understand and possibly to avoid dangerous situations. I feel that any newby that fails to read (or give a cursory glance) at a manual for new software is asking for trouble (and deserves that trouble when they get it).
Therefore, like Sphinx, I have no sympathy for anyone with the ability to read that just ignores their user manual, manuals are not written for the fun of it they provide valuble information and the "do's" and "don'ts" that should be observed.

Catbox4

I will refer you to my note to Whoisit and would further say that if he chose his words more carefully, which do cause offence, then there would have been no need for insults.

I believe that this forum runs much better if forum members understood that although we all speak and write in English we are from different parts of the world with different idiosyncrasies. Therefore, in order not to cause offence to anyone we should think clearly about what we want to say then write it down in plain English, because anything else is likely to be misunderstood.

UK Bob

PS. One other thing, regularly forum members like myself and spinx get fed up with continuing streams of newbies saying "LW gave me viruses" and other assorted comments when all they have to do is read the stickies to get the info they need.