View Single Post
Old January 2nd, 2002
Ringwraith

Abaris is flying high

i wouldn't like to download an executable from anyone through a decentral network. you have no idea who you are downloading from, and sooner or later there will be files infected by real dangerous viruses...if you really think about this, then i would recommend the following ideas:

- integrate an update checking mechanism in limewire (by calling home to limewire.org, this is far less bandwidth than downloading the whole installer...alternative would be proprietary messages like bearshare, but that could eventually flood the network)

- integrate a public limewire PGP key into the update tool

- integrate an "update" button which automatically starts a search for limewire and downloads the update files. make sure that these files are used if and only if the archive is digitally signed with the corresponding private key. if the archive file is not signed that way, it should be deleted at once - the update has failed.

at last, i'd like to agree with moak and tru - this adware thing must be stopped. i don't mind banner ads, but i'm sure you will find a way to use them without cydoor (i think you already do that in the non-windows versions, don't you ?) if you bundle any third party software with limewire, this MUST be optional. i don't mid if you bundle a dozen programs like BonziBuddy with your installer, as long as i can choose not to install them. this crap has really damaged your honour more than enough...you cannot install things like aureate on users' systems without explicitly telling them. even if cydoor is nothing but an ad engine, the other stuff is not. we don't have to tell you that an installer containing trojans is simply not tolerable.