View Single Post
Old July 2nd, 2006
Deep & Wide

Deepend is flying high

Yesterday was a long day of trial & error!!!

I learned a fair bit i didn't realize before about my use of and the limitations of LW so here are a few notes.

Firstly i learned that you really need to hang in there and be persistent. I was the type of user who thought i could select 20 or 30 mp3's for download and then do what ever i wanted come back a few hours later an have most of those tunes in my library WRONG. Especially if you are trying to get those tunes from 1 host as that was my preferred method only because this way i could browse hosts with similar musical tastes and get tunes i wouldn't even have a clue to search for. Still my favorite way to get new tunes, but requires me to be much more interactive. Yesterday i found a host who had a little over 6,500 (thanks dude you are stylin love your taste) tunes available he was set on T1 so i set mine to T1 as well with bandwidth slider on max for up & down. I did a few speed tests and had UL 200/300 & DL 800/900 All day i only downloaded from the 1 host if i was only trying 1 at a time they came in at 45/55kbs if i took 2 at a time 50/70kbs total was avg. If i took a third it would avg. 60/80 the fourth i basically got waiting on busy host or need more sources. This sometimes happened with only 3 slots but when it happened mostly with the 4th demand it usually affected all the slots so if i hadn't been there to cancel 1 or 2 of them and resume or research the others downloads would have stopped and maybe not restarted. I kept my eye on uploads with my bandwith slider on max and the speed test of 200/300 and max slots of 30 total and 20 per person speed was pretty much around 33kbs all day (Sleepless your calculations seem right on. Earlier i had mentioned hitting max's of over 100kbs this came from looking at stats and i now belive this stat refers to your setting rather than what has been achieved) with avg. 9 to 18 slots open. So no matter how high i put my settings at LW ran at my max potential.

At the end of like a 6 hour session with the 1 host things came to a crawl maybe he lowered his bandwidth or was getting more traffic than earlier i restarted LW thinking it was me and tryin to improve things but could not get connected with that host again i only made it to the F's searching by his artists but hey i got some really cool music and learned about some new artists that have had me buzzing with a total high ever since

At this time i did a bunch of searches for more obscure stuff i got from him i never found him again but along the way started several DL's from different hosts up to 15 slots at one time all working well and i was avg. 80/90kbs most of the time. I did have to resume or research some of them but for the most part they completed as long as i was not going over 2 slots per host.

Just a Hobo tried but failed to do a direct connect with an ip i got off one of the speed tests. Well i did another speed test from same server and they gave me a new ip so that file i sent you to search for might be the best way although there might be others with the same name if it is the file size i gave you it is me or someone who got it from me. Yesterday when you had sent the other pm's about not finding it i was already off line sorry i am connected now and will be for the next 15 hours so have another go.

Lord of The Rings i was offline by the time you tried to connect and the ip is unreliable so i will PM the file name and size to search for.

I will be connected but out so i can't interact with you guys til the tonite Good luck and hope your Happy in your Travels

The 6 Thousand MP3 Man you Rock and i will forever attempt to find you again.

Peace All