View Single Post
Old July 17th, 2006
Los Angeles

Karen Kraft is flying high

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarian2
I know how you feel Karen Kraft, right this minute I have one 'guest' uploading 4 files at once from me, and another uploading one file. But.... is'nt this what p2p is all about?

Admittedly, I get really really annoyed when all I am (and still am) doing is looking for one particular file at the moment - this morning I found another source, but it was downloading very very slowly (doesn't usually happen this way on my computer, generally very quick - maybe it's the source that's slow?) - then I got cut out at 52% and am stuck there. Same file from another source gave me 36% then stopped dead It's been like this for two weeks now, I just hope that one of them will stop blocking me, or be back on line (if that's the cause).

This still doesn't stop me from sharing though, I appreciate that people like the files I have and I would hate it if some-one blocked me from getting these files (actually a lot of them are torrents, which are MADE for people with patience - large files can sometimes take ages and ages to download!)

Well, do we p2p, or not2p, or what?
Sure! I don't block everyone who has nothing to share.

After all, everyone has to start someplace -- with few if any shared files. But when the same person has downloaded several dozen of my files and blocks all others 100% from their own files, it's not "sharing," it's "taking."

Look at it this way: If the vast majority of people took and very few gave, the entire p2p system would break down. Obviously, there is a difference between people who don't have an open port or who have some reason not to share at a particular time. This thread was really about people I would see, day after day, taking files from me and having neither their share folder available nor their chat enabled. That's not called p2p; that's called greed.

KK