View Single Post
Old July 17th, 2006
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default Misunderstandings about "Sharing"

Dear KK & B2

I am a long time user of LW Pro and, from what you have posted, have a major misunderstanding of how the P2P system works.

For example, you claim that you are being blocked by certain hosts, how do you know this? If you cannot browse someone's shared files that does not mean you are being "blocked" or that you cannot download from him/her.

I use a firewall (NPF 2005) to protect my PC from attack and, I understand, that this could prevent my shared files from being browsed but it does not prevent people from downloading files from me. I know this by checking the monitoring screen in LW whereby I can see which files my PC is uploading.

I do not have "chat" enabled, does this make me a "bad person" or someone that does not want to share his files? No, it does not, it is my personal choice not to have "chat" on my PC.

Therefore, KK your heartfelt quote:
Quote:
This thread was really about people I would see, day after day, taking files from me and having neither their share folder available nor their chat enabled. That's not called p2p; that's called greed.'

100% with you on this - many of my 'guests' show like this, but does not having chat enabled (therefore I assume can't browse host either?) mean that these people definitely aren't sharing?
is TOTALLY WRONG and is purely based on your misunderstanding of how LW works.

Now, as far as I understand, someone can prevent their files from being shared but an outside P2P user would never know it.

Also, there is a facility within LW that should prevent "freeloaders" from downloading your files but, when I last aired the subject, I was informed that the anti-freeload facility either didn't work or didn't work too well.

So, the simple fact is that you cannot tell whether another P2P user has blocked all his files purely by what you see on your screen.

UK Bob

PS. Perhaps you can suggest that the LW developers enhance the freeloader facility so that "freeloaders" can be ostracised by the P2P community.