View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2002
Unregistered

Lightbulb Just a Thought from an Old Man!

(My apologies to the moderators, I met to start a new thread) I didn't know where to put this thread, so I figured this was as good a place as any. I have used LimeWire for the past several months and overall, am quite pleased. I am not a computer "guru", just an old man that is a bit cautious at times who enjoys the cyberworld. I currently still use the 1.7c version, so I have not encountered any of the problems being encountered by users of more recent versions.

Usually, a "silent" reader of forums (they are great) one can learn alot before they jump into something they might otherwise regret, as I make a habit of doing. Others mightlearn from also doing this first.

I have read the comments, both positive and negative, the "flaming" (childish behavior)
and the constructive critisms.

Giving credit where it is due, I commend the LimeWire developers on their efforts and also
to the "independents" who are trying their best to make the Gnutella network and
LimeWire a viable resource for users.

Though I try my best not to judge anyone, I will say this to the developers of LimeWire, I
for one understand your revenue dilemma, however, adding spyware and/or other malicious
code (with or without your knowledge) can only raise doubts to your intentions and
trustworthyness. In other words a piece of software is only as good as the people who are
willing to use and are satisfied with it, no matter if it is freeware or not. Disclaimers are
all well and good, however, these do not in any way protect a vender from legal
ramifications if their actions are thought to be or are deemed illegal. (No, and I am not a
lawyer just try to keep up with decisions concerning "Cyber Crime".) LimeWire is a good
thing, just want to point out that a good thing can be taken to far and then it becomes
something bad.

To the others, your efforts are appreciated in using the open source code to take the
"negative" aspects out of the program. I for one despise any invasion into my privacy,
whether it be for ad promotional purposes or whatever. People or companies that use this
technology are nothing more than leeches upon society. I have no problem with free
interprise and commerce, until it infringes upon my rights as a consumer. (Sorry, I did say
I try not to judge anyone, however, in this case most of these folks have already shown
that their intentions are not always honorable in nature) You deal with these people, you
take your chances, and by saying, "We were not aware...." is not a legitimate excuse. You
are, and always will be, responsible for your actions.

In my opinion LimeWire has great potential. It does have its advantages and
disadvantages, as do the other P2P programs. (Read the other forums regarding these, if
you have doubt) I only hope that the current problems will be worked out. I remember
reading one thread in reference the developers and moderators working together to help
solve these problems (seeing that a few of the moderators seem to be kind of a "stop
gap" for passing along suggestions from the users). This thread made comment that this
has met with little or no success. Thats sad!

The Gnutella network is here to stay (sorry, RIAA), I just hope that LimeWire has a long
and prosperous future too. This old man will get down off of his soap box now........ :-)