View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2002
Unregistered

Lightbulb Follow up

I know nothing about Huge i simply did get this from your previous post:

> Safe "resume from alternate location" functionality, again with final assurance of file integrity.

For me "final assurance" mean once download is complete you must do some kind of block check on the original source, with multiple CRC to verify that all the block receive match the original file.

This is what i call "final assurance". Like i said i don't know Huge, what i'm proposing is "not final assurance". Only perform a Sha1 and download the file from all matching sources. Without performing checking at the end of transfer. If HUGE is doing this then they can't tell "final assurance of file integrity" but it's exactly what i want to to.

To have "final assurance" would use to much bandwidth, performance would be better with a small risk for corrupted file, if it's in the range or 1/10000000000000000 sound ok to me.

I will try to take time and check the HUGE principle.

CRC vs SHA1: CRC is as good as SHA1 for randomly select a number corresponding to a data. But SHA1 add security, SHA1 was built so that it's impossible to recreate any original data from the hash key (good for password storing). And of course it generate larger number since it's a 20bytes key vs 4 bytes for CRC32

Marc.