Thread: What the..? O_o
View Single Post
Old August 11th, 2006
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough

Dragamex

Your systems, as stated, looks very similar to mine but I do not recognise some of the problems you say you have:
Quote:
Video clips, when they start downloading don't have an icon of what plays them.
The icons that appear in LW are in fact the media player that either you or your system has set as the default player.
Quote:
Now, I had this problem awhile ago, and when I downloaded the files, they wouldn't delete.
Downloaded files only refuse to delete if someone else is uploading that file from you. Check to make sure that only "completed files" can be uploaded from you because sometimes other P2P users will try to upload incompleted files.
Quote:
So, now, almost ALL the videos I download won't play.
Did you recently upgrade your Windows Media Player to V11? I ask this because MS have a habit of deleting non-MS codecs whenever they update WMP.

If this is the case you will have to download and install the codecs that are missing, such as Nimo, XP codec, etc. (sorry, I don't have the URL for them at the moment but other forum members may post them later).

In the recent past, I updated WMP9 to WMP10 and I soon found that most of the video files I used to play no longer worked. I consulted a work colleague about this, a guy that builds PCs for himself, family and friends, and he confirmed that MS zapped my non-MS codecs during the upgrade. It took me several weeks to find and replace most of my deleted codecs. Now, I'm back to where I was before WMP10, I can play most of my video clips (though some AVIs are still a problem) and I can play NTSC or PAL DVDs.

So, when you upgrade WMP make sure that you have a copy of your non-MS codecs to re-install.

And finally,:
Quote:
I can tell they (videos) won't play because when they start downloading, they don't have the icon to the left. I know, it sounds a bit weird the way I explained it
Yep, definately strange but I guess you are making a basic novice mistake because your PC does not have the necessary codec, at the moment, to play the films you are downloading.

UK Bob