View Single Post
Old September 3rd, 2006
Novicius

LSeth is flying high

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunza
Thanks for the tips, Lord. Over the weekend, I deleted the preferences file and purged the downloads queue (very little in there anyway). It made a slight improvement but overall LW still running very poorly, long wait times after clicking on anything, and slowing down performance of any other applications running at the same time. However, I didn't perform your first suggestion: "Have you tried a safe boot & repaired permissions?" as I don't know what this is. If you (or anyone else) can excuse my ignorance, then I'd be greatful for a guide to getting it done. Cheers ...
Probably too late to get into this discussion (a month too late it seems), but here goes anyway...a safe boot is when you restart the computer but hold down the Shift key. This disables a lot of extensions and other things, in effect making the computer as "pure" as it can be; note, however, that due to this disabling, it also means you won't be able to do a lot of things you normally could. Safe booting is usually used as a method to see if the problem is in the computer itself or an extraneous error.

To repair permissions, open up Disk Utility (it's in the Utilities folder, under Applications), choose your hard drive, click the First Aid tab, and then click "Repair Disk Permissions".